Choosing a guardian for your minor child should you face an untimely death is not something many people enjoy planning. While it is a topic of conversation that most parents would rather ignore, it could be one of the most important conversations they ever have.
Below are some important factors when considering this decision:
- Who does your child currently feel comfortable around?
- Where does the potential guardian(s) live?
- Will your child have to move schools, cities, state etc.?
- Would the guardian move to your child’s location?
- What is the potential guardian’s parenting style like?
- How was the guardian raised as a child?
- What is the potential guardian’s lifestyle like?
- Do they already have children?
- How old they are?
- Does the potential guardian have a stable job and secure financial situation?
- Make a list of how you would want your child to be raised.
- Is this potential guardian also going to be your Trustee?
- Be sure to consider a replacement guardian.