Business Case Illustration
Jody and her husband Frank are opening a medical business. Jody is a doctor, and Frank is a registered nurse. They intend to bring more doctors and nurses into the business in the near future, and rather than purchasing an existing business, they have decided to have an office built and begin their business from the ground up. Jody and Frank, while highly capable professionals, are not up to speed on all the issues associated with building a new building in the area as well as the permits and licenses their new practice will require. They are also unsure of the type of contract they will need when they add new doctors and nurses to their practice to ensure everyone is properly protected.
Jody and Frank decide to make an appointment with the NC Planning team to determine the best ways to ensure their new business is a success. All their questions are answered in a comprehensive manner, and they now have a checklist—a roadmap of sorts—to guide them through the process. Jody and Frank are clear regarding which items they must handle, and which ones the NC Planning attorneys will take care of, and they are feeling positive about the future of their new business.
What Types of Businesses Are Served by the Apex Business and Corporate Attorneys at NC Planning?
Perhaps you are at a juncture in your life where you are considering starting your own business. If so, you know that it can be incredibly exciting to think about having your own business, while being equally terrifying. What if you fail? What if you don’t set up your business in a way that is both legal and sustaining? Proper business planning is crucial to the success of your business. If the foundation of a house is unstable, the house will eventually collapse. You want to ensure your business is structured correctly with a solid foundation. Skipping steps in the process will virtually ensure the demise of your business.
Having experienced, highly skilled Apex business and corporate attorneys from NC Planning by your side can help you start your business, run your business, or sell or dissolve your business. We can also help you with business succession planning when you want to ensure your business succeeds long after you are gone. The NC Planning attorneys will help you stay on course throughout the life of your business. We are especially adept at helping those with professional practices in North Carolina including:
- Public accountants
- Medical doctors
- Registered nurses
- Marriage and family therapists
- Professional counselors
- Occupational therapists
- Speech and language pathologists
- Certified and clinical social workers
- Land surveyors
- Soil scientists
If you hold a license in one of these professions, you can establish your professional practice by incorporating your business in the state of North Carolina (§55B-4 of the Professional Corporation Act). You (or another person in your business) must hold a state professional license before your business can be incorporated. All licensing requirements must be properly complied with, as per the appropriate NC licensing board. Articles of Organization must be filed with the NC Secretary of State.
If you choose to form a professional limited liability company (PLLC) you are personally protected from liability for malpractice of other members of your business, injuries occurring on the premises that have no direct connection to your practice, and any debts owed by the business. If you are seeking knowledgeable, professional business guidance, contact the Apex business and corporate attorneys at NC Planning for all your business needs.
What Services Are Offered by NC Planning?
The Apex business and corporate attorneys at NC Planning can help you with the following business-related services:
- Forming your business entity—Handling the legal responsibilities of starting a new business is not only time-consuming, but it can be daunting as well. Our legal team can help you prevent potential pitfalls both now and in the future as you get your business off the ground. Forming your new company is one of the most important steps you will take. We can help ensure your company has a strong foundation, then we will help your business grow and become successful.
- Structuring your business—The manner in which your business is structured is crucial to its success. Our attorneys are highly knowledgeable in LLCs and every other type of business entity. We will demystify the process, opening the door to potential tax breaks and ensuring your company is legitimate.
- Sorting out trademarks, copyright, and zoning laws—What you are legally allowed to do on a piece of land could be different from another piece of land in the same area. If you are building, you must also consider building regulations. Intellectual property—if a part of your business, is an essential piece of the puzzle as well. Registering trademarks and copyrights involves research, filling out the proper forms, filing them with the appropriate entities, and paying the correct fees. Our attorneys will handle all these issues, allowing you to focus on running your business.
- Acquisition or sale of an existing business or professional practice—Our highly experienced Apex business and corporate attorneys are equally at home negotiating terms of an acquisition as they are a sale. We can prepare and execute all transactional documents, ensuring the documents align with the stated goals you have for your business.
- Ongoing business legal services—If you have a business, it is almost a given that you will need legal services at some point in the future. Employee issues, customer issues, human resource problems, contract disputes, lawsuits, disputes regarding intellectual property, logs, copyrights or trademarks, or a host of other legal issues can derail your company without knowledgeable legal assistance. At NC Planning, we offer a Complete Corporate Counsel platform that implements recurring pre-scheduled meetings and calls and an open line of communication.
- Business succession planning, exit strategies, and business sales—Making the decision to close or sell your business can be just as full of pitfalls as starting a business. You might also want to plan for the succession of your business, whether family members or others are involved. If you have allowed your business and corporate attorneys to engage in proper planning throughout the life of your business, this side of the business will be much easier to accomplish.
- Managing tax issues—Taxes can be an issue that few business owners properly consider prior to starting a business. Our knowledgeable Apex business and corporate attorneys can effectively manage your tax burden, so it is as cost-effective and efficient as possible.
- Negotiating and drafting contracts—Contracts are the backbone of most businesses; our NC Planning team brings a wealth of experience regarding any type of contract your business may need, as well as assisting you with contract disputes, should they arise.
- Compliance with federal, state, and local laws—It is essential that your business properly complies with all federal, state, and local laws in order to maintain your limited liability shield. The NC Planning attorneys will help your business remain on the right side of the law.
- Disputes and alternative dispute resolution—With more than 32 million small businesses in the United States, it is crucial that your business has the foresight to spot potential lawsuits, sidestepping them adeptly before they escalate. Whether you are facing a contract dispute or a customer or employee lawsuit, we are ready to minimize the potential damage to your business.
- Professional practice representation—Professional practices have their own set of unique concerns and challenges. The Apex business and corporate attorneys are especially qualified to assist you with every issue facing your professional practice.
- Employee and human resources assistance—When you have employees, issues are bound to crop up from time to time. It is essential that your Human Resources Department has the necessary skills and resources to handle these issues before they escalate into a lawsuit.
How to Choose the Best Business Attorney for Your Practice
Choosing an experienced Apex business and corporate attorney for your new or existing business can be a daunting task—and one that could impact the success of your business. At NC Planning, we are highly skilled negotiators, and trusted advisors, guiding you through the business process one step at a time. We will work hard to minimize your legal risks while maximizing your business growth and success. While there are many choices of business and corporate attorneys out there, we believe that our firm is uniquely qualified to address all your business concerns. Whether you choose a business attorney based on a referral, or you have looked on the internet to choose an attorney that seems to be a good fit for your business, the NC Planning attorneys are ready to help.
How NC Planning Will Help You Plan for the Road Ahead
Believing that exceptional professional legal services are crucial to the success of your business, the NC Planning attorneys build solid relationships with each client. We can help you whether you are at the beginning of your business journey, in the middle, or are ready to sell or transfer ownership. Client Care is not something we just talk about at NC Planning—it’s a concept we live and breathe. If you are looking for a law firm that can meet every business need you may have, consider NC Planning. For your convenience, we have offices in Cary, Raleigh, and Wilmington, NC. Contact the Apex business and corporate attorneys from NC Planning today!